Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Theme




*What is the major theme of this novel? Why is this theme important to a teenager living in 2008?
I'm not quite sure...but I think thhe theme of this novel is about "books". In this book,"Fahrenhiet 451", the story tells about this one character trying to rescue his world from discovering about books. Montag never realized that book could actually make him happier and make him "think." It is hard for me to tell what exactly the major theme of this novel is but could it be 'The different point-of-view that people see about books'? Because nowdays, there are a lot of medias to experience, you can see that there are many people who enjoy watching television or doing Internet rather than reading books. There are acutaully people who enjoy reading books and feels very friendly with books but I'd rather say, there are much more people who dislike to read books. Montag also has changed his point-of-view of seeing books. I feel that Bradbury wanted to show the readers how he feels about the current situation of the world. Moreover, I will like to compare the theme of this novel to the current situations how teenagers live.
As the technology have developed, there's a lot of things to experience such as watching television programs, doing and searching Internet, or playing games. Including me also, you might feel that you avoid to read. Eventhough you read, I bet you are reading it becuase you are forced to read it. Thesedays, it is very uncommon to find teenagers holding a book to read. You might find teenagers complaing about reading books therefore, I belive that this book will be a very good book for these kind of teenagers who feels uncomfortable with reading books.
For example, for me, this book made me feel ashmed of myself for I dislike to read books unless it is very fun or interesting to read. While I was reading this book, I felt really sorry for Montag, who really wanted to read books but couldn't when the world I am living is freely allowed to read books. As you can see, this book made me an opportunity to think about reading books. The book of this theme is important to a teenagers living in 2008 for they it might change their looking of books as it have changed me of seeing books.
How do YOU feel about reading books? Why don't you read "Fahrenheit 451" and change your thought of reading books?:)

2 comments:

SusieBang said...

ok I'll write a comment now~!
Yea I agree that Faerenheit 451's message is for people, not only teenagers, to not stop reading books because there are "better" and "more fun" things to do. I say 'not only teenagers' because these days older people also don't read a lot of books. Though, more teenagers don't read books than adults. After I read this book I felt like you, I was thankful that I could read books and I think I should start reading more of them. I guess it would be sad if the world stopped us from reading books. The weird thing about this book is that the world, from the outside, seems like utopia, but actually in the inside it's dystopia. Books are not bad thing, they are good, and they help make utopia. I think we should all rethink about books and read more of them (like you said)!

dani said...

hi stacy.
your reponse is quite long.
anyways thanku for the comment on my blog, and yess, im commeting you back:)i have to go to bed but i love you so much that im doing this.
kay, so i agree with your theme. You know what really scared me? It's the fact that this scary setting, where it seems utopia, but actually is dystopia might happen to our generation! As technology improves, the more we'll rely on it, making us to be like Mildred, her friends.. in the book. Pretty scary right????